Apparently John “Cougar” Mellencamp wised up sometime after I was in 8th grade and dropped the middle name. I know this because I saw his CD at starbucks today.
Upon further wikipedia research I have discovered that:
- He’s been John Mellencamp since 1991 and I’m just now blogging about it
- JCM has been around as an artist since 1974 (?!)
- He’s been inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- John Cougar was his stage name prior to adding Mellencamp and then dropping Cougar
- Nowhere in the entire(ly too long) biography did I see anything about the only song I could remember by him: “Life is a Highway.” Which is why I just googled it and realized it’s not by John Cougar Mellencamp. Which would explain why his dropping the middle name in 1991 (long before I was in 8th grade) didn’t exactly match my memory. Because my memory was completely wrong. Which means this whole blog is based on a lie. And actually not about anything at all.